Wednesday, November 16, 2011

[WD&D] Digest for sitedesign@googlegroups.com - 25 Messages in 1 Topic

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/sitedesign/topics

    Ernest Okojie <nestkojex@gmail.com> Nov 16 10:07AM +0100  

    good morning guys,
    please check my new site out.
    Do u think my method of using url, GET and include for page navigation
    is ok? Everypage u see is calling up about 3 other pages using the
    include to get the id eg www.gegu.com.ng?id=petrol
    dont know if this is seo friendly?
    thanks
     
    --
    Best Regards
    www.kojexconsult.com

     

    Ernest Okojie <nestkojex@gmail.com> Nov 16 10:48AM +0100  

    the site is http://www.gegu.com.ng
    thanks
     
     
    --
    Best Regards
    www.kojexconsult.com

     

    chris walker <customsitepro@gmail.com> Nov 16 09:38PM +0800  

    Great work except for the fact it is 100% someone else's work (except for
    the logo and the copyright in the bottom where you say it is yours). That
    is not appropriate. You can put "development by" but you should never
    claim something that is not your own as your own
     
    Here is the actual designer of the template:
     
    http://www.globbersthemes.com/demo/hyuster/
     
    However, it is something you can look at to see what a decent design
    actually is. If you decide you really want to become a template designer,
    download a barebones framework and do something with it and make it your
    own.
     
    If I use someone else's template whether free or purchased, I just debrand
    it altogether. If I use a template framework such as T3, I will leave a
    link to the framework.
     
     
     
     
    --
    Chris

     

    chris walker <customsitepro@gmail.com> Nov 16 09:49PM +0800  

    To answewr your original question, no that is not a sef url. If you are
    going to use joomla to make a site, rename the htaccess.txt file to
    .htaccess and change the configuration of the site accordingly.
     
     
    --
    Chris

     

    Deb * Digital Mouse Designs <listmember@digitalmousedesigns.com> Nov 16 09:03AM -0600  

    On 11/16/2011 3:07 AM, Ernest Okojie wrote:
    > include to get the id eg www.gegu.com.ng?id=petrol
    > dont know if this is seo friendly?
    > thanks
     
    Very nice looking site :) It's not SEO friendly because you're not using
    friendly url's. The home page should be:
     
    http://www.gegu.com.ng
     
    Other pages such as charity should look like this:
     
    http://www.gegu.com.ng/charity
     
    http://www.gegu.com.ng/award
     
    --
    Deb * Digital Mouse Designs

     

    Deb * Digital Mouse Designs <listmember@digitalmousedesigns.com> Nov 16 09:13AM -0600  

    On 11/16/2011 3:07 AM, Ernest Okojie wrote:
    > include to get the id eg www.gegu.com.ng?id=petrol
    > dont know if this is seo friendly?
    > thanks
     
    I also have to ask, why the capital letters in your titles? I doubt that
    has any bearing on SEO but it sure doesn't make the site user friendly.
    In internet/email etc caps are considered as shouting at someone and
    some people still take this very seriously so you could offend those
    that do.
     
    Your browser titles also all say the same thing at least on the pages I
    viewed. That is not SEO friendly. Your meta description and meta tags
    all seem to say the same thing, too. My suggestion is if you don't know
    how to do SEO you either learn or your sub-contract it out to someone
    who knows how to do it correctly.
     
    --
    Deb * Digital Mouse Designs

     

    chris walker <customsitepro@gmail.com> Nov 16 11:18PM +0800  

    Deb,
     
    All he did was get a joomla quick install, change the logo and the
    copyright to make it his and add some text. The headings are all caps
    because theCSS tells them to be. If you look at the link i posted where he
    ripped the template from, you can see it is not his work.
     
    Of course, that is not what he asked, what he asked was if the urls SEF and
    you answered that question for him. The problem is that he probably does
    not know how to configure Joomla to create SEF urls.
     
    Chris

     

    Y Muh <smilin301@gmail.com> Nov 16 10:09AM -0600  

    Hey Chris-
     
    Your observations were really spot on even right down to the images
    (except the large one doesn't scroll like the original does). My
    question for you is how did you know? As quickly as you did. Do you
    know the original designer? Was their a code you used?
     
    The bases for my question, (coming from a student; soon to be
    graduate) is there a way/ or code that designers/developers type into
    the search to see if there templates are being used?
     
    Just curious
     

     

    Ernest Okojie <nestkojex@gmail.com> Nov 16 06:09PM +0115  

    Chris, first of all, thank you for viewing the site. But do u realise
    that lots of site out there are developed from templates? Besides, why
    do u think they are called templates? This is different from copying
    someelses site. In this group several people have admitted getting
    js,css codes from other peoples site and you can't say u are innocent
    either. Now u insulted me by saying that I don't know how to edit the
    site's css to change the caps to small letters. When I put up web apps
    I created from scratch with php and mysql u could not critique the
    fuctionality and now Am surprised that u can run your mouth this much.
    Wen I comes to writing codes and developing web apps I ll beat you to
    it. Learn to critique without insulting people. I ll try to remove the
    design by and put the original link back there but remember its a
    template and template are meant to be developed and lots of
    developers out there use templates. Thanks anyway
     
     
    --
    Best Regards
    www.kojexconsult.com

     

    Deb * Digital Mouse Designs <listmember@digitalmousedesigns.com> Nov 16 11:31AM -0600  

    On 11/16/2011 10:54 AM, Ernest Okojie wrote:
    > design by and put the original link back there but remember its a
    > template and template are meant to be developed and lots of
    > developers out there use templates. Thanks anyway
     
    Yes, lots of designers use templates but responsible ones don't claim
    the design as their own. It's one thing of you modify it enough so that
    it's not looking like the original, and as long as the licensing allows
    for this. It's a whole 'nudder ballgame to take a template and put your
    name in place of the original designer. Many templates come in at least
    two ways, you can use the free one leaving all copyrights and credits to
    whom they belong to, some will sell them to you and allow you then to
    remove all that stuff and some I suppose might let you claim it as yours
    but my guess is these templates aren't going to come cheap. Either way I
    personally would never claim someone else's exact design as mine which
    is what he was referring to.
     
    He didn't insult you about the caps, I'm the one that mentioned that and
    if you took it as an insult that is your prerogative however, not the
    way it was intended. You asked if things were SEO friendly, they're not
    and SEO includes many things besides the url's friendly or not.
     
    You can take this as an insult if you like but again it's not intended
    to be ... if you are going to do professional work you might want to
    first learn to write a bit more professionally. You have a number of
    typos and the "u" is a text message thing, not a list thing. I would
    also suggest that you get some thicker skin and not take offense to
    people who are trying to give you constructive criticism and/or
    information. Adult professionals do not take this kind of thing so
    personally no matter how it's said. They take what they like and leave
    the rest or they understand that others are trying to help. They also
    understand that email can be very deceiving when it comes to
    interpretations of the written word.
     
    If you do not like the replies you get, that again is on your end but if
    everything people say is going to offend you then you might want to skip
    this list and a whole bunch of other lists because this is what we do on
    these kinds of lists to help one another. It all boils down to don't ask
    if you aren't prepared for the answers.
     
     
    --
    Deb * Digital Mouse Designs

     

    chris walker <customsitepro@gmail.com> Nov 17 02:02AM +0800  

    Y Muh,
     
    I had a couple of clues that it was not his own work.
     
    First, last week he asked for some critiques on his work and this was too
    good for his current skill level.
     
    Second, a look at the code actually gave me the identity of the designer.
    By "right clicking" on the site, I was able to view the source code. This
    told me a couple of things; it was a joomla site, and it was someone else's
    template
     
    Here is part of the source:
     
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="images/tdefaut.css" type="text/css"
    media="all">
     
    I clicked on the link to the css file and it told me what I needed to know
     
    Most template designers put their contact / copyright info in the css and
    the xml file. In this template it looks like this:
     
    /****************************************************
    #####################################################
    ##-------------------------------------------------##
    ## Hyuster- Version 1.7.0 ##
    ##-------------------------------------------------##
    ## Copyright = globbersthemes.com- 2011 ##
    ## Date = Octobre 2011 ##
    ## Author = globbers ##
    ## Websites = http://www.globbersthemes.com ##
    ## ##
    #####################################################
    ****************************************************/
     
    Now we know where the theme came from. I went to
    http://www.globbersthemes.com and looked at the October 2011 theme and to
    my surprise, it looked the same except for the logo was different and the
    copyright at the bottom.
     
    Some template designers insert code in the template that "phones home" when
    the page is loaded. The designer then looks at his or her logs and finds
    out where that hit came from and they can trace it back.
     
    I am not saying templates should not be used as I have used other people's
    templates myself. However, I make it my own by modifying the template. In a
    few instances, even the template designer would not recognize it by the way
    it looks
     
    This might include:
     
     
    - Changing the background images or color
    - Changing font styles and colors
    - Changing the actual size of elements
    - Adding module positions that I need such as another row or an inset
     
    I may take their "designed by" off *if it is part of the license*, but I
    NEVER replace it with "designed by ME".
     
     
     
     
     
     
    --
    Chris

     

    Deb * Digital Mouse Designs <listmember@digitalmousedesigns.com> Nov 16 12:25PM -0600  

    On 11/16/2011 12:02 PM, chris walker wrote:
    > I may take their "designed by" off *if it is part of the license*, but
    > I NEVER replace it with "designed by ME".
     
    Similar here, I've done things like "original design by: them" and then
    added something like "modified by: me" or whatever works. People deserve
    to have credit given where it's due is my opinion. If the licensing
    allows for removal of credits that works, too but then I would still not
    claim the design as mine. I would find a way around that. I'd feel like
    a sneaky thief doing it any other way.
     
    --
    Deb * Digital Mouse Designs

     

    chris walker <customsitepro@gmail.com> Nov 17 02:34AM +0800  

    Ernest,
     
    You asked for a critique and that is what you got. If you don't want to be
    called a thief, then don't steal someone else's work and call it your own.
     
    As far as templates go, they are great for fast-tracking your site. Let
    say that you have an idea for a site and you know you want an image rotator
    at the top. This template fills that need, but as a designer, you should
    strive to make your site unique. So the first thing you do is you make sure
    you have firebug installed in your browser and you play with the site by
    adjusting the css on the fly. As you make changes, you edit the css file
    and watch your site evolve into something more pleasing to look at.
     
    For instance, I would edit line 140 in the css file and remove the
    background from the header and replace it with a solid color. The line
    would now look like this:
     
    background: #003366;
     
    I would then add a 5px solid border the same color as the text in the menu
     
    border-bottom: 5px solid #908C8A;
     
    finally, I would change the header size to 200px
     
    Now line 140 looks like:
     
    #wrapper-top {
    background: url("head") repeat-x scroll 0 0 #003366;
    border-bottom: 5px solid #908C8A;
    float: left;
    height: 200px;
    width: 100%;
    }
     
    But now our menu is too low, so we need to change that. We will change
    line 169 and reduce the margin-top to 10px Line 169 now looks like:
     
    #topmenu {
    background: none repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;
    float: left;
    height: 60px;
    margin-top: 10px;
    width: 900px;
     
    Finally, I do not like the way that the menu looks when you roll over it.
    Instead of having a block appear behind the text when you rollover, I want
    a color change instead. First, I would change the color of the menu text
    to the same color as the text in your logo and then have a contrasting but
    complimentary rolIover and active-state color. I would also adjust the css
    in the dropdowns and take out the diampnd pattern because it is hard to see
    the text in the pattern.
     
    Now the template is starting to take on a different look. By changing the
    background of the body below the header to a gradient, you can further
    customize the look of this template.
     
    See what I am getting at?
     
     
     
     
    --
    Chris

     

    Ernest Okojie <nestkojex@gmail.com> Nov 16 08:11PM +0115  

    I think the essence of being in a group like this is too learn from
    the wealth of knowledge from one another. And as far as that is
    concerned I have not learnt much from you except insults instead of
    proper corrections. Thank God u admitted you have used other peoples
    templates too. That fact that u re disguise the whole site or template
    in an theft ingenuity does not make u any less a thief as u are trying
    to paint me. Besides, I will never uses someelses site like say urs or
    cnn or any at all, I only used this cos its a template. Don't u get
    it? U are really pissing me off cos u have ended up not commenting on
    my original questions, instead u are there yapping how its Joomla.
    Checkout lots of sites code and you will see Joomla. Paid templates
    codes even carry the info of the sellers. I am a php guru in app,
    database and portal devopment cos that wat sells in my country. They
    are more interested in fuctionalty here, maybe d trend will change
    later. Check most of our national sites then u will understand the
    kind of audience I have. I already made it clear that I traded php
    mysql off for design and that is why I am here to learn design and its
    ethics and to contribute my quota too. In my Yahoo php/mysql group we
    don't insult people, we correct. Learnt that Chris. I changed links to
    url dependent ones, I used php to call up pages in the index page, I
    created a feedback that links up a database using php mail function to
    alert the site owner of the feedback and as bad as the pic he provider
    were I trid to optimise them to look good and you talk like I didn't
    have any proficiency. The design by is there cos I really did do a
    design and didn't care much about disguising it like you do
    unethically. Whoever that now decides to see if its mine originally
    can then go and look up d code to know its origin just like u have
    done. That is y I left the code signatures there. Its just a pity u
    talk like this. I may never present anything here again.
     
     
    --
    Best Regards
    www.kojexconsult.com

     

    Y Muh <smilin301@gmail.com> Nov 16 12:57PM -0600  

    Wow! I learn so much just from being in this group.
     
    Thanks,
    Yvonne
     

     

    chris walker <customsitepro@gmail.com> Nov 17 03:29AM +0800  

    Ernest,
     
    I did not say anything derogatory about you using joomla, I just stated a
    fact that it was joomla. Yvonne wanted to know how I figured out that the
    template was NOT YOURS and I explained it. I also have not said that people
    should not use templates, I said that they should not take a template and
    simply change a logo and the copyright info and call it theirs. What part
    of that statement do you not understand?
     
    In an effort to try to help you in spite of your arrogance, I proceeded to
    give you a lesson in template modification including what tools are used
    and sample mods.
     
    I have have looked at your flagship site and your portfolio.. How can you
    be proud of http://kojex.byethost4.com/kc/ ? That site is an atrocity
    from the word go. From the flash header, the images in your content that
    are out of perspective, to the annoying music.
     
    I have looked at the sites of your country. We all know your country is
    most famous for 419 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_fraud. That
    is not all your country is famous for, your esteemed countrymen also turn
    people from other countries into drug mules
    http://www.africanoutlookonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1717%3Aphilippine-police-arrests-nigerian-linked-to-drug-mule-executed-in-china&Itemid=53
     
    Based on this, I do not expect you to understand what I am saying because I
    do not believe that your culture puts a value on doing what is right.
    Furthermore, you don't actually read what people a writing, you just get
    offended. Last week, Doug pointed out your arrogance and your inability to
    take advice.
     
    I have responded to quite a few people here and I have tried my best to be
    civil. Unfortunately, civility gets thrown to the side in some cases and
    this is one of those.
     
     
    --
    Chris

     

    chris walker <customsitepro@gmail.com> Nov 17 03:33AM +0800  

    Yvonne,
     
    Where do you live and what is your major? How close are you to
    graduation? you can learn a lot here, but as Deb said, you need to have a
    thick skin and take what you feel is valuable and discount the rest
     
    Chris
     
     
     
     
    --
    Chris

     

    Deb * Digital Mouse Designs <listmember@digitalmousedesigns.com> Nov 16 01:40PM -0600  

    On 11/16/2011 12:56 PM, Ernest Okojie wrote:
    > Its just a pity u
    > talk like this. I may never present anything here again.
     
    Since you seem more interested in discussing a person(s) critiques,
    comments or whatever you want to call them instead of listening to
    people who want to help then there is no point in presenting anything
    here again anyway. You claim to want to learn, but all I see is you
    defending yourself and throwing daggers at others instead of using the
    ideas presented to you *on your request.* If I don't like someone's
    comments I find the best way to deal with that is to ignore what I don't
    like and discuss further with those I do like.
     
    I also have to much trouble reading your posts because of the
    abbreviations "u" use. I'm done reading and responding to your posts, I
    don't need this kind of discussion. I prefer hang out with the
    professional minded adults on this list who take the time to spell out
    their words and reread their posts to correct any typos. Much easier to
    read that way. I also find it more friendly and a better learning
    environment when the discussions are civil.
     
    Good luck to you, and I'm sorry you didn't learn anything because there
    were some good ideas discussed and plenty to learn, if you choose to
    listen.
     
    --
    Deb * Digital Mouse Designs

     

    Deb * Digital Mouse Designs <listmember@digitalmousedesigns.com> Nov 16 01:40PM -0600  

    On 11/16/2011 12:57 PM, Y Muh wrote:
    > Wow! I learn so much just from being in this group.
     
    > Thanks,
    > Yvonne
     
    Now that's a great attitude!
     
    --
    Deb * Digital Mouse Designs

     

    chris walker <customsitepro@gmail.com> Nov 17 03:48AM +0800  

    And I will fall all over myself to help her and answer any questions I can
    to the best of my ability.
     
    Thanks for the voice of reason, Deb! As an aside, text slang drives me
    crazy. I don't even use it when texting on the phone. I guess I am just old.
     
    Chris
     
    On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 3:40 AM, Deb * Digital Mouse Designs <
     
    --
    Chris

     

    Y Muh <smilin301@gmail.com> Nov 16 02:05PM -0600  

    I'm in Chicago. I will complete my degree in Web Development &
    Interactive Media this coming December. December 8th is my official
    date of completion. And, oh boy do I know about the thick skin - I've
    posted here for a critique. I definitely value the input. My approach
    is like this, I'd rather get an honest critique here and listen to
    ways to improve my work than for me to put up a site that looks crazy.
     
    I'm all about improvement especially in ways that will help me professionally.
     
     

     

    Deb * Digital Mouse Designs <listmember@digitalmousedesigns.com> Nov 16 02:07PM -0600  

    On 11/16/2011 1:48 PM, chris walker wrote:
    > Thanks for the voice of reason, Deb! As an aside, text slang drives me
    > crazy. I don't even use it when texting on the phone. I guess I am just old.
     
    You're welcome, I really don't like being so direct but sometimes it
    gets the better of me. Nah, you're not old, I had to get used to using
    it myself but only because you're only allowed such few
    letters/characters to say what ya gotta say and as you can see, I'm a
    windy person, LOL!
     
    --
    Deb * Digital Mouse Designs

     

    Deb * Digital Mouse Designs <listmember@digitalmousedesigns.com> Nov 16 02:08PM -0600  

    On 11/16/2011 2:05 PM, Y Muh wrote:
    > I definitely value the input. My approach
    > is like this, I'd rather get an honest critique here and listen to
    > ways to improve my work than for me to put up a site that looks crazy.
     
     
    Good for you! You have learned well :)
     
    --
    Deb * Digital Mouse Designs

     

    chris walker <customsitepro@gmail.com> Nov 17 04:12AM +0800  

    Yvonnes,
     
    Do you feel that your college is up to date on the curriculum or do you
    supplement what you are learning by teaching yourself? The blleding edge is
    like the old "carrot on a stick". I spend about 25% of my work time
    learning new technologies and I feel like I know less every day.
     
    Good luck in your career goals. Web design can be exciting on some level -
    at least when you are not bored to death. I appreciate those little bursts
    of creativity that let the juices flow and something nice comes out of it.
     
    Chris
     
     
     
    --
    Chris

     

    Joni Mueller <joni@jonimueller.com> Nov 16 02:13PM -0600  

    I agree about chat-speak. There's a time and a place for it, as with everything else. :)
     
    Joni Mueller
    Pixelita Designs
    joni@pixelita.com
    Sent from my iPhone
     
     

     

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group sitedesign.
You can post via email.
To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty message.
For more options, visit this group.

--
You received this because you are subscribed to the "Web Design and Development" group at Google Groups. Messages are prefixed with [WD&D] in the subject. No spam is allowed. Be civil, be professional; try to be helpful & mind your netiquette. All posts are Copyright the original author and the Web Design and Development group. No reproduction of this content is allowed in any electronic or printed form outside the group at Google Groups and the http://www.WDaDg.org website. Any unauthorized use of our copy constitutes illegal Copyright infringement and may well be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Digital Signature: $©"[W|D|&|D]g"|^|!SiteDesign@GG||#%$
To post to this group, email SiteDesign@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe, email SiteDesign-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/SiteDesign?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment